“Sweet Memories Never Leave” is a collection of 12 new and traditional song-duets, soulful fiddle, mandolin and banjo tunes by Virginia, old-time musicians, Erynn Marshall and Carl Jones. Guest musicians include: Joe Dejarnette on bass, Joel Savoy on fiddle and Kelli Jones-Savoy on uke. Running time: 39 minutes. This is the first, official duet recording of these two accomplished artists.
1. Poor Little Ellen – Obray Ramsey inspired our take on this classic murder ballad.
2. Camp Chase – The tune said to free Sol Carpenter from the prison camp after a fiddle contest. This version comes from West Virginia fiddler, Wilson Douglas.
3. One Fond Adieu – A wistful song Carl wrote the night before his 60th birthday.
4. Piney Woods – Burl Hammons is the source for this beautiful West Virginia tune.
5. Rocky Point – A Marshall original for Lois Carnell of Hinton, Alberta.
6. Convict and the Rose – An old Blue Sky Boys duet.
7. Daredevil Blues – Erynn composed this tune for her thrill-seeking brother Rob.
8. Jack Rabbit Jump – This hopped out of Carl’s mandolin after watching rabbits leap.
9. Maple on the Hill – A sweet song popularlized by Wade Mainer and Mainers Mountaineers in the 30’s. Our inspiration was the Callahan brothers.
10. Turkey Gobbler – Such a fine tune from Kentucky fiddler Buddy Thomas
11. Rambling Gambler – Heartbreak and Gambling often go together.
Carl’s has always loved this Dixon Brothers Classic.
12. The Lohman Waltz – for Kurt and Jodi Lohman of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Erynn Marshall and Carl Jones are old-time musicians and inspired tunesmiths from Galax, Virginia. They are married – in life and music. Southern song-duets and powerful fiddle, guitar, mandolin, banjo tunes comprise their diverse sets. They play with ease, spontaneity and vitality. While rooted in the traditional sounds of older players, this duo stays true to their own muse by composing new, tradition-rooted music. Carl and Erynn’s original tunes and songs are played by many musicians play around the world and Carl’s song, Last Time on the Road was featured on the grammy-award winning album “Unleashed” by the Nashville Bluegrass Band. Instrumentally, Marshall and Jones have won many awards for their playing including Erynn’s 1st place fiddle win at Clifftop and Carl’s 3rd place fingerpicking-guitar win at Winfield – both premier festivals in the United States. Sweet Memories Never Leave is their 12th CD between them and their first, official, duet recording. For more information on these internationally touring artists please visit www.dittyville.com
1, 2, 4, 9, 10, 11 Traditional / Public Domain
5, 7, 12 composed by Erynn Marshall
3, 8 composed by Carl Jones
6 composed by Robert King and Ballard MacDonald (Shapiro Bernstein & Co)
9 composed by Gussie Davis in 1880.
All tracks played and arranged by Erynn Marshall (Hickoryjack/BMI)
and Carl Jones (Chordwood/Ascap)
Bass: 1, 5 by Joe Dejarnette. Uke: 7 Kelli Jones-Savoy. 2nd fiddle: 7 Joel Savoy
Produced by Erynn Marshall and Carl Jones
All tracks engineered, mixed and mastered at Joe Dejarnette’s Studio 808A in Floyd, Virginia except for Daredevil Blues recorded and engineered by Joel Savoy at
Studio SavoyFaire, Eunice, Louisiana.
Graphic Design: Debbie Adams, Adams & Associates, Toronto, Ontario.
Photography: Mike Eaves and Harrol Blevins
All rights reserved. February, 2015. www.dittyville.com